Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Loop 202 to be

This is right next to the CAP canal. The new highway is still a couple years from completion here, but they're already lowering the roadbed.

I hadn't seen bridge construction like the technique that's used on the bridges for this project. They dig down and rough contour the area where the bridge will go and then build the bridge supports more or less as I would expect from other construction I've seen. However, they then pack the dirt back in around the supports until it's to the level of the bridge. Then they construct the bridge supported on the dirt. When it's done, they remove the dirt again. Pretty cool. Maybe I've not seen it because this is new road and most of my experience is around existing bridges and highways... Posted by Picasa

No comments: